'72 Engine Problems

In the quest for more power and quicker times, I bought (in early 2000) a new cam, carb, converter (used), and main studs (to help the motor withstand 6500 rpm shifts).

The Damage:
When I tore my engine down to install the cam, main studs, etc., I decided as long as I was that far into it, I should check my main bearings (since the main bolts were off anyway). The bearings were horrible. The outer two (#1 and #5) were tolerable, but the middle three were worn down to the copper layer after only 17,000 miles.
Here's one of the mains:

You can see where it's worn to the copper, right? Two others were just as bad. I had no idea what to do. I figured I needed to replace the bearings, and to do that, the crank needed to come out, and to do that, the rods and pistons needed to come out! What a drag. So I look at the rod bearings and #1-#4 are poor, but not horrible, but #5-#8 are really bad!

The Cause:
Soooo, what could be the problem? I asked around and got several theories.

The Solution:
I had a spare crank, so I brought that and my block into the machine shop to eliminate as many of these possiblities as I could.

They turned the crank (eliminating a bent/warped crank as a possible cause of future problems).

They decked the block (giving a higher compression ratio but also better quench, and hopefully better combustion).

They align-honed the mains ensuring the crank would stay put.

I also purchased a 7-quart Moroso oil pan, pump pickup, scraper, windage tray, pan baffle, Melling M55A oil pump, and an oil temp gauge, so that should eliminate any worries about the oiling system.

I installed a bigger Comp XE274 cam, so that should bleed off a little cylinder pressure.

Also, as mentioned earlier, I'm putting oxygen sensors in my headers to monitor the air/fuel ratio as I drive.

The only unaddressed possible cause on my list is the balance of the rotating assembly, but since I only need this motor for 2-3 years and I really don't think that was the cause anyway (and it's expensive), I decided to skip the balancing this time.

Here are pics of the crank in the block and my new oil pan.

More Problems:
I found out my stock replacement harmonic balancer I had purchased 2 years earlier had cracked, so here's the 6-3/4" StreetDampr I got from Summit. Beautiful, ain't it? It was a shame to paint it. I wanted the 8" Fluidampr, but that was twice the price.

Finally:
Here's the motor on the stand:

Installation:
I finally got the motor installed on May 23rd, 2000, all hooked up on the 24th, and fired it up on the 25th for the cam break-in. We had a few minor problems, but eventually it all worked out. It ran great during the break-in, no leaks or anything, just burned lots of the POR-15 off the headers. No surprise. It's got a nice, lopey idle and will run at 700 rpm, lower than I thought. I love it!

Results:
The motor gave me 13.3s @ 103.2 mph in the quarter. I think it's strong enough for very low 13s but I need a looser converter, the Holeshot 2400 is just too tight to let me get into the powerband.

Feedback and questions are always welcome, please click the "Contact" links if you'd like to leave some.

Copyright 2009 Bruce Johnson and Craig Watson